It’s so great you’re here! St. James Church is a welcoming place for families to develop a relationship with God together. We strive to be a spiritually nourishing place for people of all ages. And in a time in which many people live quite a distance from their extended families, we hope to serve as grandparents, aunties, uncles, sisters and brothers in the faith, sharing our love of God with one another.
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Children are a gift from God. Jesus welcomed the little children, and so do we! We can abide with a little ‘joyful noise’ at St. James. We are excited you’re here and believe children’s voices are the sound of new life in church.
- We understand that children do not instantly know how to take part in worship, and we also acknowledge that things have changed a lot since most adults were children in church. Maybe when you were a kid you were expected to be mini adults or to be seen and not heard. We don’t feel that way here. We want to help both parents and their children feel welcome and affirmed just as they are, whether they’re seasoned churchgoers or first time visitors. We also know that when children feel truly welcomed, they are happier to be in church and will want tp take part in being full participants in worship.
- Children learn how to fully participate in worship at St. James. We provide special support for families with our child friendly pews and through Story Chapel during the 10:00 service.
- If you’re new to St. James, please sign the guest card you will find in the pew (or the guest book by the main entrance) to receive our weekly eNews, and make note if you’d like to also receive special family emails. Guest cards can be dropped in the offering plate or given to one of the greeters.
- After church, come meet others at social hour! There is kid friendly space in our Common Room and we often have some intergenerational activities ready to explore during our time of coffee and fellowship.